Monday, June 18, 2012

A New Recipe... and a new race!

Over the past several years, in my hunt for delicious vegetarian recipes, I have always read about "tempeh."  Tempeh is advertised as being an amazing vegan protein source made from fermented soy and grains.  One package has 40g of protein.  It seemed harmless, but for some reason, I was weary to try it.  That is, until last week.  I decided to make Tempeh Tacos for dinner, and was very, very happy with the result! It seems to soak up more flavor than even tofu.  Here's what I cooked up:
Tempeh Tacos
  • 8oz package of tempeh (I purchased mine from Trader Joe's)
  • 4T olive oil
  • 2T soy sauce
  • 3T lime juice
  • 1T paprika
  • 1/8t cayenne pepper
  • 1t oregano
  • 1/2 t sea salt
I don't cook a lot with paprika, so I wasn't sure how I was going to like it. But the flavor was so unique!
Chop up the tempeh into small cubes, and throw in a pan with the olive oil for about 5 minutes. I then combined the soy sauce, lime juice, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt, and added the mixture to the pan, cooking for about another 5 minutes (until all the sauce has soaked up into the tempeh).  Removed from the heat, and added the oregano.  I threw this into an organic tortilla with lettuce, roasted salsa, avocado, cilantro, and a little bit of sour cream (I was craving it). Delicious, and easy! I can also see myself using plain old taco seasoning as well, to change it up a bit.  
* Special shout out to the Sinful Vegetarian for the recipe: http://www.sinfulvegetarian.com/showrecipe.php?recipename=Taco%20Style%20Tempeh

******************************************************************************
On another note, we picked a race!!

Saturday, November 10th, 2012
Shun the Sun Skin Cancer Run 2012 - Half Marathon

The proceeds go towards awareness about the dangers of skin cancer.  Extra fitting since I can't seem to go outside without burning, and it's a great cause.  Race is paid for in full, now to train!

This means our 12 week training schedule begins August 13th, so we have until then to get back up to speed with our base run of 4 miles, and prepare our bodies for the work.  We have successfully been completing 1 long run, 1 short run, and 1 interval training day, each week.  On top of that, I have been adding in a cross training day (i.e. hiking, soon to be yoga or spin), and working to add weight training into my weekly schedule.  My goal is to push through the extreme heat of the summer, so it isn't a shock for our system in August.  And, work on core strength and muscle strength so that when I am in training mode, my body hopefully suffers less aches and pains, and hopefully decreases my chances of injury.  

I am very excited!!! (and scared...)

No comments:

Post a Comment