Wednesday, January 4, 2012

(not) Chicken Soup for the Soul*

I've been on track this week.  I am signed up for the Resolution Run on Sunday to run my first 5k race.  Yay! Christi signed up today, double yay!

After running my first mile of the year on Monday, I ran 3 miles yesterday on the treadmill, and 1 mile today around the park and neighborhood.  Tomorrow will be 2 miles in the neighborhood with Christi, and then I think I'm hiking the next two days as "active rest."

I've been very careful to stay focused on my running form to make sure my foot is rolling heel to toe each time.  I have realized that as my legs get tired, I lose some of the bounce and my knees don't pull up as high.  The result? Funky running form and an angry heel.  I can tell immediately when I lose my form because my heel reminds me.  The new inserts in my shoes have helped a lot, but back to ice and ibuprofen while I'm training, just in case...

 
Work was nice and stressful and freaked me out today, so my 1 mile jaunt around the block was 1 minute and 20 seconds shorter than normal! Funny, stress and built up tension can make for an excellent workout.

For Christmas, Jay's sister RaeAnne gave me of one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever received, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Runners.  She had been my running partner over Thanksgiving weekend and witnessed me struggling with my injury and endurance over the week.  I'm only on story 19 of 101, but so far the book has been focused on stories about people getting started, and now people using running as a form of therapy.  What's amazing is that I feel like I can relate to most of the stories so far.... if this many people had a struggle and eventually got better and began to love running, surely I too can follow the same path?

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

*not Chicken because I don't eat it... Get it? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment