Saturday, March 24, 2012

Time off.

13 days after our 10k, I finally was feeling rested and able to run again.  After numerous massages, an acupuncture appointment, lots of ice and hot epson salt baths, my calf was feeling awesome and ready to go.  I was nervous though, afraid that we would get out there on our lunch break and I would either fall or hurt myself, but still I decided the only way to find out was to get out there and try.

The run felt amazing. 1.6miles in the neighborhoods surrounding the office. The knot in my calf was a little tight, but it felt amazing to be back out there. I felt like myself again!  A little pain, but nothing a little ice couldn't handle.  Except, 3 hours later, my entire leg was throbbing.

Got home to soak in the tub, followed by ice, heat, ice.  Left for dinner and by the time we got home, I was in so much pain. My entire lower leg was throbbing and I was frustrated and miserable.  I had a massage appointment scheduled for today, so I asked him to look at my calf while I was there. He commented that my knot was incredibly better, but the muscle next to my calf seemed to be separated from the shin bone.  A bad case of shin splints? He showed me that he could wiggle the muscle on my left leg, but not my right. To top it off, there's bruising (small ones) on my calf as well.

So, I'm giving in. I'll elliptical bound for the next couple of months.  I'll slowly add in light hikes and biking until my muscle is back where it is supposed to be. I'm also going to get over to Roadrunner sports and have them help me pick out shoes.  My shoes have been a problem for the beginning, and I'm certain based on how my left shoe feels, that it is the main culprit for this injury as well. I also think I'm going to get some compression socks to try out: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-320--13591-0,00.html

I'm incredibly disappointed and beyond frustrated, but have decided that this is a wake up call that I need to listen to. I am going to miss the camaraderie of running the most.

Time to heal!

No comments:

Post a Comment