Monday, November 14, 2011

Another mile for the records

I realized that I posted about my disappointing run last week, but I didn't provide any updates on the happy ones!

But first: happy running shoes make for happy, determined feet:


Thursday, Christi and I ran the service road and adjoining trails at South Mountain.  It actually felt good to get out of the office on our lunch break (yep, on our lunch break... we're nuts) to get some fresh air, and get away from the computer, recycled air, and crappy lighting.  We were a little surprised to find that the "flat" road included some small hills, so that was fun! (I'm joking here, folks.)  We did 3 miles in 43 minutes, and only walked a little on the uphill portions.  It was a little tricky to look ahead rather than at our feet when were carefully maneuvering around rocks.  I think for this week, we'll stick to the road and avoid the loose gravel, just to keep it safe. 

Friday, I was up at 5:30 and ran 3 miles before the sun came up.  I will admit, while my cozy bed tries often to discourage me from thinking otherwise, (having a handsome boyfriend doesn't help either!) there is definitely something to be said about waking up early, working out, making a big breakfast, and then starting your day! This was a special circumstance since we were heading out of town and I needed to fit it in.  I think I love sleep too much to wake up that early on my day off.  But yay me, I did what had to be done.

Saturday and Sunday were my days off, and my body thanked me for it. I was starting to feel so run down I just wasn't feeling well.  Soaked in the tub for about an hour and I felt like a new woman.  Thanks to the lovely Miranda Clements (http://treasuredtreehouse.blogspot.com/) for making me some calendula-lavender bath salts with Epson salt in it. I think that become my new crack.

Today! 4 miles on the treadmill in 50 minutes! I am improving my time and lengthening my distance.  I will admit my body wanted to give up during the first part of the 3rd mile, but I forged ahead. I cannot believe I actually ran 4 miles today! I feel like I have made a huge accomplishment.  This week will alternate between 3 and 4 miles and then mile 5 by Sunday.  (I think I'll need a brownie or a glass of wine tied to a stick to get me there....)

My achilles tendon on my right heel was very sore when I was finished.  Glad to see that ibuprofen helped calm it down.  I'm going to keep an eye on that and make sure to stretch and ice it so I don't end up with a more dramatic injury: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/ankleproblems/a/achilles.htm. 

The other plus side to this running? It helped loosen my neck some. Huh.  I may be on to something..

Week 2 of 10.. bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment