Monday, November 7, 2011

The half marathon

Words I never ever thought I would utter, "I'm training for a half marathon."

WHAT??! I don't run.  Surely wine must have been involved in this decision making. In fact, I actually detest running.  I think it's because I never thought I was any good at it.  I have always joked that I got the "art gene" instead of the "sports gene," because I have always been artistically inclined, but always one of the last picked in PE growing up.  It was just something I learned to accept.

However, the older I get, the more fit I want to get.  Let's be honest, embroidering and sewing doesn't exactly burn the calories.  I'm not sure if it's the challenge of proving myself wrong or the drive for adventure, but I am ready to get in shape and get out there and boogie.

Earlier this year, we hiked 14.6 miles of the Grand Canyon in a single day.  It was one of the most exciting, exhausting, and thrilling moments of my life.  Last year, I started hiking, even though it was something I would never have considered while I was living back in California.  Suddenly I decided that instead of visiting one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World, I was going to hike it instead.  Making it back up to the top, the adrenaline pumped through my veins and I knew I needed to have another experience like that.  I am truly hoping that a half marathon will have the same effect!

So starting tomorrow, I am in an intense 10 week training regiment to prepare for the P.F. Changs rock 'n roll half marathon on January 15th.  This is going to include running 5 days a week on top of my strength training and weekly hikes at South Mountain, all in preparation of completing a 13.1 mile run. 

The purpose of this blog is to help me record my experience and my challenges during this process.

Oh, and I'm one of those "crazy" people who doesn't eat meat, so I'll probably dedicate some of this blog to vegetarian living and recipes I have found.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck hun!!! Sounds like an adventure to me! I hope you get all you want out of it.

    ReplyDelete